MICHAEL Long has no hesitation in declaring his 190 games with AFL club Essendon gave him the grounding to expand his life’s work to indigenous issues.

The Patron in Chief of the Michael Long Learning and Leadership Centre and AFLNT Team of the Century inductee was named the 2019 NT Australian of the Year on Monday.

Long was recognised for using his voice and profile he built as a footballer at the highest level to fight against racism and continue his work on closing the gap between indigenous and non-indigenous young Australians.

The Michael Long Foundation, Michael Long Learning and Leadership Centre at Marrara and The Long Walk have all been used as major tools in Long’s message.

“While I’m deeply honoured to receive this award, the big thing for me is continuing the work of the Foundation and the MLLLC,’’ he said.

“Kevin Sheedy gave me an opportunity at Essendon and I want that same chance to apply to young indigenous Territorians,’’ he said.

“And to do that we need support in the form of a major sponsor. We’ve never really promoted both organisations in that manner, but we certainly are now.’’

A dual premiership player with Essendon, the 1993 Norm Smith Medallist and the first indigenous player to captain an AFL side, Long was named in the Essendon Team of the Century and the AFL indigenous Team of the Century.

AFLNT boss Stuart Totham said Territorians were immensely proud of what Long achieved on the footy field and post retirement.

“The establishment of the Michael Long Foundation will also have far-reaching impact for generations to come,’’ Totham said.