Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith has not reached out to Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott yet as he awaits the rookie to seek him out for any advice that he may want, he tells Sports Illustrated's Jonathan Jones.

Smith was once told by Michael Jordan that if young athletes want a veteran's opinion, the player will seek out the mentor instead of an older player dropping unsolicited advice on a rookie.

Recommended for you: Emmitt Smith Gear - Shop Emmitt Smith Gear Today!
Lids.com/EmmittSmithGear | Sponsored
“For me, and I’m only speaking about me, it was always important for me to talk to people of wisdom,” said Smith, who understands a rookie like Elliott may be busy and doesn’t take it as a slight that he hasn’t reached out. “And when I say that, I mean people who have been there and done it and know what it’s all about and pick their brain for the knowledge that they possess. For me, they have traveled the places that I want to go.”

• The Throwback: Ezekiel Elliott is already chasing history

If Elliott wants to talk, he has Smith's phone number.

The rookie out of Ohio State has fared well in his first year with 137 carries for 703 yards and five touchdowns. The Cowboys are 5–1 on the season and sit in first place in the NFC East.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...ott/ar-AAjtQLO