SHE may have missed a Commonwealth Games spot but Emma Jeffcoat has her eyes firmly set on the Tokyo Olympics after sealing her first triathlon World Cup podium place with a win at Mooloolaba on Saturday.

Jeffcoat, a former surf lifesaving star who switched to triathlon just two years ago, made the most of the surf swim, emerging first from the water and remaining in the lead pack on the bike before breaking American Kirsten Kasper in the second lap of the run, to post an emotional win.

“I’m stoked, I don’t think you’ll be wiping the smile off my face,” Sydney-based Jeffcoat said.

“I came fourth last year and that hurt, so I was on that run today and I said: ‘I am not coming fourth’.

“To take that top step with mum and dad here and a lot of people from home, I’m thrilled.”

Jeffcoat attacked the race from the start, using her surf background to her advantage.

“There was a strong current sweeping right to left across the bank and there were some waves breaking right on that bank, so for girls not used to racing in the surf, that can be really challenging,” she said.

“I’m lucky I grew up racing surf lifesaving so I could play that to my advantage.”

While she had a strong advantage heading into the bike leg, Jeffcoat could see the chase pack gaining on her and decided to sit up and wait for them rather than battle the 20km alone into a ferocious wind.

“I love a tough bike course and I’ve been really happy with how my run’s progressing, so I really wanted to show that today and I’m stoked that it paid off,” she said.

Jeffcoat and Kasper, who is training on the Gold Coast with team Canada in the lead-up to the Commonwealth Games, took the top two positions on the podium ahead of Italian Angelica Olmo.

While she did not expect to win Games representation so early in her career, Jeffcoat’s name was in selection discussions last year, as selectors tussled over the last position in the three-woman team for the Gold Coast event.

“I’m kind of new to the sport,” Jeffcoat said.

“My first World Cup was here two years ago and I came 23rd, so to come out there and win today, I’m stoked.

“Comm Games really wasn’t on the radar for me.

“Obviously that’s the dream of any athlete to make a major team but I’m realistic, I’m new to the sport and I’ve got so much more to develop and learn on all three fronts – swim, bike and run.

“I’m thrilled for the girls that made the team and I’ll be aiming towards Tokyo 2020.”

The next three athletes home were Kiwi Commonwealth Games representative Nicole Van Der Kaay, and Australians Natalie Van Coevorden and Charlotte McShane.

McShane was pleased with her swim – usually her weakest leg – but is not yet at her top speed with the Games just over three weeks away.

“I didn’t run as well as I would have liked but it was tough out there, it was quite hot and I felt like I struggled a bit out there,” McShane said.

“But three weeks out from an extremely important race, I’ve got to expect that in a way.

“I’d be a bit worried if I came here and had the race of my life, it’d be too early.

“But I definitely got some positives out of it.”