New South Wales teenage sensation Jack Edwards is reaping the rewards of living in the pocket of former Australia opener turned batting mentor Chris Rogers.

As he's climbed the ranks of Australian cricket, Edwards has worked so closely with Rogers – Cricket Australia High Performance and National Performance Squad coach – that his teammates have started taking the mickey out of him.

But the proximity to Rogers – the veteran of 25 Tests, more than 300 first-class games and 79 centuries – has paid off in a big way for Edwards, who yesterday became the youngest men's player to score a domestic one-day century in Australia.

Edwards scored 116 from 118 balls in just his fifth match for the Blues, a brilliant century that followed scores of 32, 42, 15 and 68 of which his final three innings have been amassed opening the batting, the same position Rogers called home in his playing days.

"'Bucky' (Rogers) has been fantastic for me," Edwards told cricket.com.au on the eve of the JLT One-Day Cup last month.

"I've been living in his pocket up there (in Brisbane).

"A couple of guys have been taking the piss out of me because I like to stick so close to him, but he's a fantastic mentor and has so much knowledge of the game to pass on.

"I love chatting with him and hitting as many balls as possible with Bucky."

In addition to sharing his experiences with Edwards and the next generation of talent, which is quickly becoming the present generation, Rogers hasn't been afraid to tinker with the techniques of the rookie batsmen.

After acting as an assistant coach with Australia's Under-19 World Cup team, Rogers said the techniques of his batsmen were behind those of a gun Indian batting group, but stressed the changes revolved around simple tweaks to the basics.

Edwards is a product of Rogers’ guidance, and says the changes to his game have been equal parts mechanical and mental.

"He's worked a lot technically with myself," Edwards said. "He conveys a clear message with what I need to improve from last year to this and often coaches might be a bit afraid to change techniques, but what he's done with me has been really worthwhile.

"I now I have a better understanding of my own game and can problem solve when things might go wrong.

"He'll always be there for me if I have got questions.

"Mentally he's a great thinker of the game, so it's great to get that side of the game as well."

Edwards will line up for NSW in Thursday's JLT Cup qualifying final against Victoria at Drummoyne Oval.