The Eagles created quite an underdog story making their way through the playoffs and landing in the Super Bowl, where they will face the Patriots.

It certainly wasn't an easy journey and the organization was put to the test when quarterback Carson Wentz tore his ACL in Week 14. Philadelphia turned to backup quarterback Nick Foles, and team owner Jeffrey Lurie opened up about some of the business decisions made last offseason that are leading to the team's success, including how they landed Foles.

During Monday's Super Bowl Opening Night, Lurie admitted it may have seemed "irrational" for the organization to drop $12 million on a backup quarterback, however, the decision was part of a bigger plan to have the "very best possible other starting quarterbacks."
The Eagles cut backup quarterback Chase Daniel last spring (even though they still owed him $5 million for 2017) and then gave Foles a contract that included $7 million in guarantees.

"I remember the phone call when it was [executive VP of football operations] Howie [Roseman] and I talking, and we said, 'We have an opportunity to do this. Do you have any reservations of using this $12 million this way versus other positions?'" Lurie said, via ESPN. "And we both agreed this was absolutely the right thing to do. We never knew it would come to this, but we knew that Nick could win big games for us."
While Foles technically entered the 2017 season as a backup quarterback to Wentz, Lurie isn't willing to call him that.

"I won't even call [Foles] a backup, because we had him evaluated as a very strong quarterback," Lurie said. "He's been 18-5 for us over the last 23 games when Nick has started a game and finished. His quarterback rating in the postseason — he's a big-time, big-game player. That's Nick."
Foles was originally drafted by the Eagles in the third round in 2012 with Any Reid as head coach. He didn't see success during his 2014 season and ended up on the Rams and Chiefs rosters before going back to Philadelphia in 2017