Faf du Plessis and Kagiso Rabada return to the South Africa squad for the T20I series against Australia © AFP

Kagiso Rabada, the mainstay of South Africa's pace attack, and former captain Faf du Plessis have returned to the T20I side for the upcoming three-match T20I series against Australia, Cricket South Africa announced on Monday (February 17).

Anrich Nortje also returns to the squad with Reeza Hendricks, Beuran Hendricks and Sisanda Magala, who were part of the squad for the T20Is against England, making way.

Temba Bavuma, who did well in the T20Is against England, had left the field during the final T20I with a right hamstring injury. He's set to undergo scans, which will determine his availability for the Australia series.

South Africa T20I Squad: Quinton de Kock (c/wk), Temba Bavuma (subject to fitness) Faf du Plessis, Rassie van der Dussen, David Miller, Pite van Biljon, Dwaine Pretorius, Andile Phehlukwayo, Jon-Jon Smuts, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Lungi Ngidi, Bjorn Fortuin, Anrich Nortje, Dale Steyn, Heinrich Klaasen
Just hours before the T20I squad announcement, du Plessis had ended his tenure as South Africa's T20I and Test captain, citing "a need to take a step back from captaincy in order to help facilitate the emergence of the next generation of leaders". De Kock was named ODI captain ahead of the series against England at the start of this month, and continued in the role when Du Plessis was rested for the T20I rubber.

South Africa lost the series to England by a 2-1 margin, with all games being close-fought encounters. "The T20 series may not have been won but it was really pleasing to see our batting unit play so well," Independent Selector Linda Zondi said.

"They showed a lot of aggression, particularly upfront, in every match which set a good foundation for the rest of the line-up to follow. The very exciting bursts of cricket that we were served up bode very well for the future, especially in the short term as we begin our hunt in earnest for the T20 World Cup squad.

"As a selection panel, we are happy with the team that we have finalised for the Australia tour. We are confident that the return of Kagiso (Rabada) and Anrich (Nortje) will provide the boost that the bowling unit needs in order to return to its dangerous ways and that the experience of Faf (du Plessis) will add an extra dimension to the batting unit's already fledgling prowess," Zondi added.

South Africa will lock horns against Australia over three T20Is on February 21, 23 and 26. Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth and Cape Town will host the three matches.