MOBILE, Ala. — Donnel Pumphrey ended his college career as the FBS’s career leader in rushing yards with more than 6,000 over the last four years. Production-wise, he checked all the boxes NFL teams could ask for in a college running back.

But likely will impact where, or if, the San Diego State product gets drafted.

Pumphrey at just under 5-8 and 169 pounds at the 2017 Senior Bowl, the second lightest player at the event in Mobile, Ala., (only above Memphis kicker Jake Elliott). His hand size — just 8 ¼ inches — is the smallest of any offensive skill position player. Those three numbers, combined with his eventual 40 time, will be the focal points of his scouting report for NFL decision makers.

Pumphrey been working to shift his national attention from college success to a role NFL teams can buy into. His rushing success is one thing, but for a diminutive running back prospect, his immediate value needs to be as a pass catcher.

"Yeah, I certainly know that, Pumphrey said. "It’s something I’ve been working on since my junior summer, before the season, getting better with my routes and breaks and such."

Pumphrey is training with former San Diego State quarterback Ryan Lindley, who played in the NFL for five seasons, and former All-Pro fullback Mike Karney, who played for the Saints and Rams. At his training facility, Pumphrey is the only running back, and he said that’s been a benefit.

"(Mike) Karney has been great," he said. "Working on everything out of the backfield, knowing when to break. It’s not new to me at all, but it’s been great to work with him on. And having Ryan (Lindley) there has been a huge help. He still can sling it."

As a running back, Pumphrey hasn’t been able to show how he’ll handle working in traffic against NFL linebackers. But it’s clear his burst and top-end speed translates, and he has consistently caught linebackers and safeties off balance and taking poor angles.

Pumphrey said his role model is Marshall Faulk, as expected. Pumphrey broke many of Faulk’s San Diego State records and looks to offer that same type of dual-threat value as a speedy, versatile pass-catcher.

As for most skill position players, the 40 is still the great equalizer in the minds of NFL scouts. And Pumphrey certainly is aware of that.

"Right after the season, I ran a 4.48 before training at EXOS," he said. "I’ve run faster in the spring. I’ll be in the 4.3s, hopefully the low end."

MORE:

The Senior Bowl often invites players with historically great production because of the allure, but Pumphrey wasn’t invited simply because he’s a name to know. He’s here to prove he’s an NFL running back who can fit the Darren Sproles/DeAnthony Thomas mold.

He has won teams over in interviews and, so far, as a receiver at the Senior Bowl. He might be on track to secure himself an NFL draft selection and a chance to be a difference-maker once again on the football field.