DES Hasler has all but ruled himself out for the New Zealand national coaching job after meeting with officials.

Hasler was full of praise for New Zealand rugby league when he spoke to Macquarie Sports Breakfast Show.

“I’ve always got aspirations to coach anywhere at the moment,” Hasler said.

“I went over there and had a chat to New Zealand rugby league just to see where they are at and where I’m at.

“It was good. They’re a great nation.

“A side like that if they can pull together the strongest possible national side you would have a very strong side.”

However the former Bulldogs and Manly mentor believes his intentions to coach in the NRL again mean he is not the right fit for the national Kiwis job.

“But their aspirations are probably to go with somebody that’s not still aspiring to be (coaching) in the NRL,” Hasler said.

“Which is fair enough because at the end of the day if you still have aspirations to coach an NRL side I know with the Stephen Kearney situation they were in a great situation.”

Hasler did admit that it was a formal interview process and that any coach would be lucky to have the talent that New Zealand have at their disposal.

“Obviously after the last World Cup they had a panel so they are being very transparent and very professional about it.

“They have some amazing talent there.”