WORLD number one and defending US Open champion Rafael Nadal sent his close friend David Ferrer into Grand Slam retirement when his veteran compatriot was forced to quit their first round match with an injury.

Ferrer, a former world number three but now standing at a lowly 148, called it quits on a hot and humid night on Arthur Ashe Stadium when he led 4-3 with a break in the second set.

Top seed Nadal had taken the opener 6-3.

“This is my last Grand Slam,” said Ferrer who was runner-up to Nadal in the 2013 French Open final.

Ferrer’s Grand Slam career comes to a disappointing end; ten quarter-finals, five semi-finals, and a final. But no crown.

One of the most talented players to never win a Slam; Ferrer had the misfortune of being born into an era where Nadal, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, and Andy Murray dominated the circuit.

It was sadly fitting that Ferrer’s Grand Slam career came to an end against Nadal; the man largely repsonsible for the glaring ‘0’ on his record.

Ferrer lost to Nadal in his lone Grand Slam final appearance, a 2013 French Open straight sets defeat.

And on four of his six trips to the quarter-finals or deeper at Roland Garros, Ferrer fell to his superior compatriot.

“I have great memories of this tournament and I am just sorry that I couldn’t finish it tonight,” Ferrer said.

The 36-year-old will play his last tournament on home ground in Madrid next year.

“I am very sorry for David and sad for him,” said Nadal.

“We are close friends and have shared great moments -- the Roland Garros final and Davis Cup wins.

“He is one of the greatest players to have come from our country. He’s a great person and great player.” Nadal, chasing his 18th Grand Slam title, will face Canada’s Vasek Pospisil for a place in the last 32.