Roger Federer helped Switzerland to their first Davis Cup final in 22 years after his victory against Italy's Fabio Fognini gave the hosts an unassailable 3-1 lead

The 17-time grand slam champion secured a comfortable 6-2 6-3 7-6 (7-4) success in the opening reverse singles against the 17th-ranked Fognini to set up a mouthwatering clash against France on November 21-23.

Federer was rarely troubled by Fognini at Geneva's Palexpo Arena, which was packed to its 18,000-plus capacity and the 33-year-old celebrated his win with skipping jumps across the court.

Switzerland, who have never won the 114-year-old competition, are in the final for just the second time in their history after finishing as runners-up to the United States in 1992.

And Federer will now play in his very first final as he looks to add the final jewel to an already glittering trophy cabinet of silverware.

"It's really nice to share it (victory) with my team members," Federer said. "I think I really struggled today. I think Fabio struggled all weekend.

"It's tough conditions, pretty quick court, so it's always going to happen especially if you are not serving so well.

"I thought today wasn't the best performance from both of us but then again you've got to fight with what you've got and in the end I'm happy to make the difference."

Italy's Andreas Seppi later defeated Michael Lammer 6-4 1-6 6-4 in the fifth rubber to make the final score 3-2.

Switzerland will now meet France, who ended the reign of two-time defending champion Czech Republic at Roland Garros with a 4-1 victory to reach their first final since 2010.

Le Bleus, who won the last of their nine cups in 2001, will have home advantage against Switzerland in what will be one of the most hotly-anticipated finals in years.