RUMOURS of David Swallow exploring a move home to WA have been put to bed, with the Gold Coast midfielder signing a long-term extension with the Queensland club.

The Suns this afternoon announced Swallow has committed through to the end of 2024, adding another five years onto his current deal.

It is a significant get for the beleaguered club, which lost co-captains Tom Lynch to Richmond and Steven May to Melbourne this offseason after watching Gary Ablett return to Geelong a year earlier.

Swallow’s new deal positions him as one of the most significant figures at the club as it prepares to embark on a fresh rebuild under coach Stewart Dew.

A report out of Melbourne earlier this season indicated the 2010 No.1 draft pick could be interested in linking up with Fremantle when his original deal ran out at the end of next season.

However putting pen to paper on the five-year extension have all but ruled out the option.

“I’ve thought about it for a while now, I’m happy to get it done and looking forward to the next few years,” Swallow said in a statement.

“I’m committed to helping the club get to where it wants to get to.”