There are plenty of things that get Red Sox legend David Ortiz excited, but not much gets him going more than opening day.

Boston opens its season Thursday at 4 p.m. ET against the Rays and Ortiz can't wait for that mythical first day of the season.

"I'm extremely excited about opening day," Ortiz told Omnisport. "It's too bad now that I'm retired, but it's the first time in 50 years that all 30 teams will be playing baseball at the same time, so everybody related to baseball is going to be connected."

All 30 teams will play on opening day Thursday for the first time since April 10, 1968.

Ortiz, legendary Dodgers play-by-play man Vin Scully, Mets flamethrower Noah Syndergaard and others have partnered with Kingsford Charcoal in hopes of turning baseball's first day into a holiday.

"I think it should be a national holiday where everyone gets off of work, gets off of school, everything, (so) they can sit down and watch baseball," Ortiz said. "And by the way, let's not forget about firing up the grill with Kingsford, they're the ones that will help you have the grill going with the steak, with the hamburger, with the hot dog, with everything that you want to cook."

Ortiz may not be playing on this opening day 50 years in the making, but he will be more than a little involved with baseball this season. He is working both as a special consultant with the Red Sox as well as being an analyst for Fox Sports.

Ortiz may miss getting in the box this season but with the additions Boston made this offseason, Ortiz said they have a good chance to do something great. The American League East is stacked, but Ortiz believes the Red Sox can get it done.

"It's loaded," Ortiz said. "The Yankees got loaded this offseason but, we'll see."