The former Australian coach David Saker was also in the reckoning for the job but Hussey was preferred over him. © Getty

The former Australian and Melbourne Stars skipper David Hussey will replace Stephen Fleming as the head coach of the Melbourne stars. Hussey has signed a two-year deal with the Stars, and as a result, will have to immediately stand down from the Cricket Victoria Board - a position he held since 2018.

"I am really honored and incredibly excited by the opportunity to lead the Stars," said a jubilant Hussey on the appointment on Wednesday (May 22). "Stephen has done some remarkable things with this team over the period and I'll be looking to capitalise on this while bringing in some strategy and style of my own.

"The BBL Final loss still burns inside me, so I can only imagine how the current players must feel with last season's loss. From my perspective, to make the final from last position in BBL|07 was a Herculean effort which provides a tremendous platform and enthusiasm for season ahead. I know we have the talent but more importantly we all have the unwavering desire to win the Club's first title," Hussey added.

Melbourne Stars started looking for Fleming's replacement when he opted not to extend his contract. The former Australian coach David Saker was also in the reckoning for the job but Hussey was preferred over him. Hussey played 48 matches for the Stars across seven seasons,, scoring 855 runs.

Stars President, Eddie McGuire said, "David is a quality person, a Melbourne Star through and through and someone we are extremely confident will help guide the club through its next exciting phase.

"We are all still disappointed by last season's final result; but I am sure under David's tutelage, we will take the necessary leanings and move pretty quickly to commencing our BBL|09 campaign."

Melbourne Stars CEO, Clint Cooper was on the same page as Stars President, Eddie McGuire, He said, "The entire club is very excited to have David back and at the helm and I am sure that our members and fans will be thrilled by this appointment.

"We expect great things from David, who will no doubt continue to evolve the team and build upon the foundations led by Stephen, but importantly he brings his own personality and hard edge to the role," added Cooper.

Melbourne Stars failed to chase down 145 in the finals of the Big Bash last year against Melbourne Renegades and ended up as the runners-up. Under Hussey, they would hope to win their maiden title in the next season.