IF it is weird, then so be it.

As far as David Barlow is concerned, every athlete - let alone Melbourne United teammates - would benefit from improvised yoga and stretching routines.

Obsessed with strength and performance, Barlow does it before and after each training session and in-games when he gets summoned to bench.

His spot on the United sideline is easy to find, too, with the NBL champions providing the 35 year-old two-time Olympian a “special little cushion” to kneel on.

“This is just another little idiosyncrasy of mine, call me weird or whatever, I don’t believe someone coming off the court (should sit still too long) if you’re trying to maximise performance,” Barlow said.

“If you’re going to sit for several minutes crouched down in a single position then flick the switch and bang, you’re supposed to be going at 100 per cent, I think that’s difficult for the human body to accomplish so I just choose to stay a little bit more active.”

The four-time NBL champion Barlow has been a revelation at United this season, filling a variety of spots and, importantly, knocking down clutch baskets.

Barlow should be entering the twilight of his career but the Sandringham junior, who won three titles at Sydney Kings before a stint at Melbourne Tigers and then abroad, bouncing through Europe, has wound back the clock.

The eye-catching early-season form hasn’t gone unnoticed, either, with Australian basketball legend Andrew Gaze left in awe.

“I don’t know if I have ever seen David Barlow play better than what he’s doing right now and that goes back to when he was an Olympian,” Kings coach Gaze said.

“He’s smart, playing really athletic, shooting the ball better than I have ever seen him before, making really good decisions and exposing mismatches.

“It’s a stroke of genius, whatever they’re feeding him, whatever is in the water, whatever he’s taking, let us know and we’d love to have some of it because he’s doing really well.”

The secret behind Barlow’s resurrection, however, is not so much what he is putting but what he gets out of his chiselled 205cm frame.

Every muscle and joint is tended to with utmost care and precision.

Barlow will do weights and stretch for about two hours before every session on the practice floor and then cool down, for about 30 minutes, with more targeted poses.

United high performance manager Eric Hollingsworth credited Barlow’s “diligence” with helping the veteran recapture his best after a “chronic” Achilles injury.

“His diligence around that was probably one of the best examples I’ve seen of someone maintaining a regime, sticking at it and believing he was going to come out the other end,” Hollingsworth said.

“Once he got through that (Achilles) he was so excited, like a young boy wanting to play again.

“He certainly has got some obsessive behaviours around stretching but it works for him.”

MELBOURNE UNITED v CAIRNS TAIPANS
Sunday, November 11 at 2.50pm (EDT), Melbourne Arena

United $1.26 (-8.5 $1.95)

Taipans $3.90 (+8.5 $1.85)

Gilbert Gardiner says: United should be far too strong at home for the Snakes despite letting one slip last Thursday night against the Hawks. United by 10 points.