JUSTIN Hodges doesn’t need to think too hard about his answer when asked who should be inducted to The Immortals on Wednesday evening.

Despite playing alongside Darren Lockyer, the former Maroons and Kangaroos centre said the time is now for Mal Meninga.

Hodges said Meninga’s record as a player speaks for itself, and he was even inspired to play the game because of his former Origin coach.

“Obviously I played a lot of football with Locky, shared some great memories with him... [but] look I’ve always said Mal Meninga,” he told Fox Sports.

“I just think that he deserves to be there, he missed last time when they gave the nod to Andrew Johns and I just think he needs to be there.

“In the 80s and the 90s he was one of those iconic guys that really got me involved in rugby league and I used to love watching him play. He was so aggressive, he was so big and just watching guys trying to tackle him...

“You saw the respect he had immediately both on the field and off the field and that just comes from being the player that he was.”

He said Meninga’s decorated CV couldn’t be denied.

“He was an outstanding player... to break his arm so many times and play 46 tests, so many Origins, 30-something Origins was outstanding.

“I think winning the [three] grand finals for Canberra... would be his biggest accomplishment.

“You train all year for them, you play all year for them, you play busted... by the time the end of the season comes it’s something that you’ve always focused on and it’s the ultimate prize, you want to win a grand final.”

He certainly isn’t saying Lockyer is unworthy of Immortal status, in fact he goes as far as to say it’s inevitable that the current record-holder for Kangaroos caps (59) will gain entry into the game’s most exclusive club.

“Obviously Locky will get his chance in the years to come — whichever way they go both guys are going to be there but I think big Malcolm deserves to be there first, he’s been an inspiration to a lot of people, myself included.”

While Meninga’s coaching record isn’t meant to come into calculations, Hodges says his standing in the game has only reached greater heights since he guided the Maroons to eight successive series wins.

“If you look back to 2006 we were on the brink of losing four [series] and he changed everything,” Hodges continued.

“He brought a new system in and debuted 10 or 11 players that series as well and we lost the first game so there was a lot of pressure on him.

“In true fashion of big Mal he took it in his stride and made sure we were focused. And that’s what he does he brings the best out of everyone — he’s been an amazing player and an amazing person.”