Daniel Ricciardo has taken what he described as “one of the most difficult decisions” in his career after choosing to leave Red Bull and drive for Renault from 2019.

Ricciardo and Red Bull had been bullish in recent weeks when asked about what many considered a routine contract extension. But the team announced on Friday the Australian had informed them he would be leaving at the end of the Formula One season, with his move to Renault confirmed shortly afterwards.

The 29-year-old has been with Red Bull since 2014 having made his F1 debut three years earlier with the now-defunct HRT. Ricciardo, who has also driven for Toro Rosso, has won seven races for his current team, including two victories this year, in China and Monaco. He is fourth in the 2018 drivers’ championship after a fourth-placed finish at last weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix.

“I thought it was time for me to take on a fresh and new challenge,” Ricciardo said. “I realise there is a lot ahead in order to allow Renault to reach their target of competing at the highest level but I have been impressed by their progression in only two years, and I know each time Renault has been in the sport they eventually won. I hope to be able to help them in this journey and contribute on and off track.”

Renault confirmed Ricciardo has signed a two-year deal and will drive alongside Nico Hülkenberg. Ricciardo is no stranger to Renault, who have provided engines for Red Bull during his time at the team.

Red Bull’s team principal, Christian Horner, thanked Ricciardo for his efforts. “We fully respect Daniel’s decision to leave Red Bull Racing and we wish him all the best in his future,” he said. “We would like to thank him for his dedication and the role he has played, the highlights of course being the seven wins and 29 podiums he has achieved so far with us.”

The signing of Ricciardo – who will replace Carlos Sainz Jr – is a statement of intent, according to Renault’s managing director, Cyril Abiteboul. “Daniel’s signing underscores our determination to accelerate our progress towards the forefront of the sport,” he said. “It is also a recognition of the work accomplished over the past two and a half seasons.

“Daniel’s undoubted talent and charisma are a huge bonus and statement for the team. We will have to repay his faith in us by delivering the best car possible. We welcome him to our growing team in 2019 with a great deal of pride but also humility.”

Resource:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ll-formula-one