In a restructured tournament where all six teams were guaranteed of qualification for the knockout stage before a ball was bowled, it's fitting that this season's JLT One-Day Cup final is all about second chances.

Tasmania and Victoria will face off in Melbourne on Wednesday, the first time the two teams have met in a tournament decider since they played three one-day finals in four seasons between 2008 and 2011.

The match represents a third consecutive final for Tasmanian cricket - after several barren years, they were runners-up in last year's Shield and BBL campaigns - while the Vics are back in the one-day decider after a five-year absence, during which time they won a trio of Shield titles.

But the personal journeys of the 22 players that will walk out onto Junction Oval is of far greater significance than the recent history of their respective teams.

Sandhu (left) and Rose have re-invented their careers at the Tigers // GettySandhu (left) and Rose have re-invented their careers at the Tigers // Getty

Eight of Tasmania's side from their semi-final victory over Queensland last week - the XI they will likely take into the final - were either born outside the Apple Isle or made their name playing for another state, while the Vics look set to field a side featuring five imports of their own.

A player on each team will be taking on their former teammates; Tassie wicketkeeper batsman Matthew Wade spent a decade playing for the Vics before moving home to Hobart last year, while Victorian paceman Andrew Fekete recently crossed back over the Bass Strait after six years with the Tigers.

There's the tale of Tigers quick Gurinder Sandhu and Vics batsman Nic Maddinson, who played alongside each other at NSW up until six months ago before they were cut loose by the Blues and found new homes further south.

Maddinson has found a new home south of the border // GettyMaddinson has found a new home south of the border // Getty

Maddinson's career was in such an uncertain state as of a month ago that he didn’t even have a state contract, and it's a similar story for Fekete, Vics spinner Fawad Ahmed and Tassie tweaker Clive Rose.

Sandhu is part of a six-man Tassie bowling attack that, apart from speedster Gabe Bell, were born interstate; Test quick Jackson Bird hails from Sydney, fellow paceman Tom Rogers from Canberra, spinner Rose from Victoria and allrounder Simon Milenko from Queensland.

And then there's the man who has been the revelation of the tournament, Tigers opener Ben McDermott, who failed to take his chance with the Bulls early in his career but has exploded into the national consciousness in the past month.

McDermott has surged into Australia's T20 side this month // GettyMcDermott has surged into Australia's T20 side this month // Getty

Having moved south from Queensland to Hobart three years ago, McDermott's path took some more unconventional turns this year as he looked to turn his undoubted potential into consistent results; from Tasmania's Future's League side, he went to English club East Moseley, then Toronto for the inaugural Canadian T20 league, back to south London and finally to Townsville for the start of the domestic season.

He shed eight kilograms along the way and, according to Tigers skipper George Bailey, returned to Australia "with a really clear determination to improve" and continues to display the type of mental fortitude needed from all players who take the road less travelled.

"He obviously sat down and said 'I want to get to the next level'," Bailey, one of Tasmania's homegrown stars, said of McDermott.

"It's quite ballsy, I reckon, at that age to say 'I'm going to put everything on the line here and I really want to improve my game'.

"He's always been really mentally strong and really driven. That was one of the things we liked about Ben from the moment he walked in the doors at Tasmania.

"His cricket has gone to another level. I think it's great reward for him and I think he's only going to get better and better."

For McDermott and all the cricket journeymen who will take to the field on Wednesday, simply playing at this level is not something they would take for granted given the obstacles they've overcome just to be there.

And winning some silverware would be the ultimate way to take advantage of their second chance.