CWM LCR Honda Team rider Cal Crutchlow will start from the second row of the grid after setting the fifth fastest time in Q2 at COTA.
After a largely wet day yesterday, which saw the 29 year-old set the second fastest time behind Marc Marquez, today's action took place in the dry, giving Crutchlow a crucial opportunity to adapt to the new frame supplied to the team for this race by HRC.

The British rider wasted no time in putting the new material to the test, setting the pace for much of this morning's foggy FP3 only to be pipped to the fastest time by Marquez on the final lap. Crutchlow continued to impress in race trim during FP4, setting his best time on a tyre that had completed 17 laps, and he was confident of a challenge for a front row spot in qualifying.

However, a small mistake in turn 11 cost him crucial time through the second and third sectors and halted his challenge for the front row and possibly even for pole position. Nevertheless, fifth place remains a positive result and hopes are high for tomorrow's race.

Cal Crutchlow:
“It is frustrating not to be on the front row but it is my own fault. I felt comfortable riding on my own but I just out-braked myself into turn 11, which is in the second sector and then I lost all the drive onto the straight, which is into the third sector. I wrecked two sectors basically and it definitely cost me the front row. The race is going to be quite difficult because we don't understand the package enough at the moment to make changes and we don't really know what way to go. The new chassis is better but I haven't had enough time on it. Anyway we've definitely improved and our pace is not too bad because in FP4 I did my fastest lap with 17 laps on the tyre, so that's a positive thing and I think a lot of the other guys were on new tyres. It's a good step to go into tomorrow confident but we need to work for the start of the race and we need to be there on the first eight laps of the race because I think at the moment we might lose some time, but then gain it back at the end of the race.”