ADELAIDE is preparing to play hardball with Carlton over a move for Mitch McGovern.

The contracted forward has nominated the Blues as his club of choice ahead of this month's NAB AFL Trade Period, having requested a move away from the Crows in September.

However, tied down at West Lakes until the end of 2020 after signing a three-year contract extension midway through last season, Adelaide list manager Justin Reid says the club will not let McGovern leave unless Carlton pays what it believes is due compensation.

Adelaide and Carlton have history during the exchange period, with the Blues holding Bryce Gibbs to his contract in 2016 – despite the midfielder requesting a trade to South Australia.

Prior to Gibbs ultimately moving to the Crows last year, Blues list boss Stephen Silvagni had said: "When a player is in contract for two years, you have to pay overs. They're difficult to get out of clubs and they're important to the clubs they belong to."

However, Reid does not believe that comment will come back to haunt Silvagni this year.

"I think that statement is pretty consistent with all clubs," Reid told NAB AFL Trade Radio.

"We work hard to develop players and to get players to the club. We're not in the business of just letting players walk out of the footy club.

"We've sat down with Mitch and his management and we've got a really mature approach about it. I think you've seen that with a lot of clubs this year.

"Mitch was at the best and fairest and he was training at our facility last week.

"If we can get something done that is best for the club and the members, then we'll certainly look at it. But obviously he's still a contracted player as well."

Reid said he was disappointed with McGovern's attempts to break his three-year contract with Adelaide, having only signed it in August last year, but said he was not surprised.

He also said there was still a lot to play out in negotiations with Carlton regarding a trade, with the Blues currently in possession of picks 1, 24, 25, 65 and 73 at the NAB AFL Draft.

"I've got a really good relationship with Mitch … obviously we're really disappointed when players have that conversation and are looking to leave within 12 months," Reid said.

"He's got his reasons and he's expressed them. At the end of the day, I've been around long enough and nothing surprises me these days. You just have to have an open mind.

"We really rate Mitch, he's a key position player that can play both ends and we actually think he's only just starting to get to where he needs to get to.

"His brother (Jeremy) at the age of 23 was when he really took off in his career. We've aligned that with each other, so he's got a lot of upside over the next eight to 10 years."

As reported on AFL.com.au last month, Reid also confirmed that Richmond forward Tyson Stengle wants a trade to the Crows.