JAKE Clifford will make a stunning return to the Intrust Super Cup this week as the Cowboys whiz kid prepares to fight it out for the competition’s best and fairest award tonight.

North Queensland coach Paul Green yesterday handed the Northern Pride their dream scenario for Saturday’s knockout semi-final against Easts Tigers, after he declared Clifford’s NRL season to be over.

Green said he had not dropped Clifford after six weeks in first grade, but felt a greater challenge lay ahead for the playmaker in guiding the Pride through a finals series.

The news also came on the eve of the QRL Awards, with Clifford tonight nominated for the Civoniceva best and fairest medal.

With Te Maire Martin set to replace Clifford in the halves in the Cowboys’ final NRL match of the year on Saturday, Green said he wanted to see what impact Clifford could have at a crucial time in the Intrust Super Cup.

“Part of (Clifford’s) development is for him to go back and help steer an Intrust Super Cup team through a finals series,” Green said.

“That was always part of my plan. I said that to him when he came into the team that if Pride made the semis, I would like him to play a role in that.

“That could be just as beneficial for him (as playing NRL).”

Clifford is among five players who polled the highest number of votes for the Intrust Super Cup’s highest honour, with Ipswich skipper Nathaniel Neale, Sunshine Coast hooker Harry Grant, Easts playmaker Billy Walters and Townsville five-eighth Zach Dockar-Clay also in the running.

Clifford and Grant are also in contention for Rookie of the Year.

It’s an impressive feat for the two young guns to make such an impact in their first season of the Intrust Super Cup, but Northern Pride coach Ty Williams said it came as no surprise to him.

He said he knew from December last year that he would need a back-up plan for Clifford’s eventual promotion to first grade, such was the talent of the 20-year-old.

“He showed this year that he’s a very gifted rugby league player,” Williams said.

“The hard work is ahead of him now is to be as consistent as possible. It doesn’t surprise me. He’s had an outstanding year.

“His leadership for a 20-year-old kid is outstanding. To be in both those (award) categories reflects the year he’s had.”