NRL legend Johnathan Thurston got up close and personal with fans during an exclusive Q&A plus a meet-and-greet at The Courier-Mail yesterday.

More than 100 subscribers were invited to meet the ex-Cowboys captain in an exclusive event hosted by The Courier-Mail chief league writer Peter Badel.

The champion league player spoke candidly about his season-ending shoulder injury, his new autobiography and his joy in expecting a fourth child in February, joking that he will need to trade in his Mustang for a mini van.

Thurston spoke of how he didn’t know much about his Aboriginal culture until the 2010 Allstars match, when players were asked to stand on different sides of the room depending on how much they knew about their family history.

When Thurston realised he didn’t know much, he called his mum and said he wanted to learn about his people’s culture.

“I sort of made a mental note to myself that I wanted to do something to give back to my culture, because I know the history of our culture and where it’s come from and what it’s been through,” he said.

“I wanted to make the generation have something to aspire to and with my platform playing rugby league I was able to do that.”

The NRL champion has been travelling to promote his autobiography, which takes an honest look into his life on and off the field.

Courier-Mail subscribers were excited to meet Thurston in an intimate setting and get their books and jerseys signed, with one of his smallest fans saying the player was his “idol”.