VICTORIAN golfer Jack Wilson has a golf club and will travel, with a big dose of on-course entertainment thrown in.

The 27-year-old comes to Darwin for edition 3 of the Palmerston NT PGA as the full package, complete with flowing beard and dreadlocks.

“I’ve got a head full of dreadlocks and a pretty solid beard I’ve been working on over the past couple of years,’’ Wilson told the NT News.

“For me sportspeople are entertainers and I think golf needs to be an entertainment field in as many ways as we can make it, particularly with the lacking of interest, we need to make it more appealing.

“If I can do that solely by the way I look, then hopefully the way I conduct myself out on the course can bring in a bit of a crowd as well.

“You Territorians certainly have a reputation, I think that is probably why I’ll fit in when I come up there.’’

The NT News contacted Wilson on the golf course last week where he was practising his swing in preparation for the trip to Darwin.

“It’s very cold down here at the moment, I’m standing here on the putting green with not much feeling in my hands,’’ he whispered.

“I’m based in Melbourne, but not for a lot longer, I’m making a move at the end of the month and going north, this is not on any more.’’

Wilson said golfers from around the country were looking forward to getting back up to Palmerston with good reports surfacing on the state of the course despite Cyclone Marcus downing some trees in late March.

“It’s been a fantastic golf course and the work done there has been significant,’’ he said.

“I think it’s great we’re playing the event in that part of the world.

“It’s a bit of a tight course and dry, which means you could get in trouble by playing it longer than what it actually says, especially when the ball starts to run further than you think. But it’s a good golf course, the layout is pretty good and I don’t think too much about hitting it too long. It’s just a case of getting your game plan together, being patient, making sure you don’t make too many mistakes and the birdies will come.’’

Wilson missed the cut last year after coming into Darwin on the back of a tournament overseas, which left him a bit unsettled.

“Now I’m looking forward to getting back up there after spending time at home this week,’’ he said.

“Hopefully the NT PGA can become really special and we can start to get some players from overseas to have a look at another part of this amazing country we live in.’’