COLLINGWOOD will test the loyalty of Gold Coast star defender Steven May with an ambitious bid to bring the gun backman back to Melbourne at season’s end.

The Magpies have emerged as a keen suitor for 193cm May following shock news on Thursday that co-captain Lynch will have season-ending knee surgery to fix his posterior cruciate ligament.

May, who has close links to Collingwood’s list boss Ned Guy, would be a perfect replacement for veteran Magpies’ stopper Lynden Dunn or off-contract swingman Darcy Moore.

While a frustrated Lynch said he was “disappointed” his season had been cut short, rival clubs believe the gun tall has played his last game for the Suns.

Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood are leading the chase for Lynch, 25, after eight seasons up north.

However, concerns about the No.11 draft pick’s knee problem will ensure clubs complete exhaustive medical checks before finalising $1 million-a-year offers.

Lynch, who has been battling the knee problem for the bulk of the season, said he would meet his manager Robbie D’Orazio to discuss his future after the operation.

“It’s really disappointing to know that I’m going to have to have surgery and not play out the season,” Lynch said.

“Post-surgery I’m sure the time will come where I’ll sit down with my manager and work through what the best option going forward is.

“Clearly, I’ve got a decision to make on my future, but the reality is I haven’t made that decision.”

While the spotlight has shone intensely on free agent Lynch, the Magpies’ interest in co-captain May has flown under the radar.

May, 26, will qualify for free agency next season, but Collingwood is interested this year.

The Magpies have a tight salary cap but will be in a stronger position to land Lynch or May, but not both, if the Pies fail to re-sign one of out-of-contract stars Moore, Jordan de Goey or Jamie Elliott.

North Melbourne has offered de Goey $5 million over five seasons but Collingwood will not go above about $700,000 a year.

Collngwood list guru Guy worked at May’s management company McDonald Sports before joining the Pies.

May is contracted for one more season at Gold Coast and has shown enormous faith in the expansion club, turning down huge interest from Hawthorn last season.

But Lynch’s expected departure could prompt a re-think from the Melbourne Grammar product amid fears the gun backman would be left stranded by Lynch’s departure.

The besieged club would be reluctant to release May from his contract under any circumstances next season as the club desperately tries to stem the flow of player departures.

But there are serious fears about Gold Coast’s viability in the wake of calls from AFL greats including Wayne Carey that the league should “shut the gates” on Gold Coast if Lynch leaves.

Brisbane champion Jon Brown said the Suns’ list was “shambolic” and echoed Paul Roos’ calls for the AFL to save Gold Coast with some emergency assistance.

“If they do not have concessions, special concessions put in place for their list build, they have no hope,” Brown said.