GEELONG defender Zach Tuohy has urged AFL clubs to realise the importance of Irish players returning home in the off-season to feature for their local Gaelic sides.

Tuohy's comments come in the wake of fellow Irish Cat Mark O'Connor being forced to apologise to club officials last month after it was discovered he had played for Dingle in its Kerry county senior championship semi-final during his off-season trip.

Geelong footy boss Simon Lloyd said that it was a "breach to (O'Connor's) contract" due to "the risk of injury which would then compromise his ability to play and train for Geelong".

However, speaking with Irish publication balls.ie, Tuohy said AFL clubs needed to be more aware of the significance of Gaelic converts playing for their local teams.

"This is something AFL clubs are going to have to realise," Tuohy said.

"If they want players to come over from here, they will have to appreciate what it is they are giving up. Most players will tell you the club means more than the county.

"If the opportunity is there for a 19-year-old to leave and play for his club, [the AFL clubs] are going to have to accept it is going to happen.

"They didn't give a warning, it is not threats, that is not how they do it. But it is going to happen, players are going to play.

"They are just going to have to wrap their heads around how much club football means to the Irish lads."

There is expected to be a record number of Irish players in the AFL next season, with six new recruits during the off-season bringing the total number of imports to 14.

Red Óg Murphy (North Melbourne), James Madden (Brisbane), Mark Keane and Anton Tohill (Collingwood), Stefan Okunbor (Geelong) and Callum Brown (Greater Western Sydney) are among the Irish players set to enter the AFL in 2019.

While some in Ireland are concerned about the number of players coming to Australia having earned their stripes in Gaelic footy, Tuohy believes it should be seen as a positive.

"We should and everyone in the GAA should wear it as a badge of honour that a professional code is looking to us to improve their game," he said.

"That is what we are doing. I would like to see Irish guys stay, but I didn't stay. It wasn't an easy decision. I wanted to go out and test myself and I am glad no one is trying to make the decision on my behalf or deny the opportunity for me.

"This argument that people gave up the time to coach them but they are not coaching them for the AFL, who are these people?

"Who are these people that coach a child from the time they are eight and then are angry when that same child goes on to become a professional sports person? Surely you wear that as a badge of honour."