MELBOURNE United captain Chris Goulding feared the worst when his knee buckled last week but six days on the sharpshooter is hopeful of facing Cairns Taipans.

United will subject him to a rigorous test on Friday and decide whether Goulding can absorb the “sharp” pain in his bone-bruised knee.

Goulding, 30, went down against Perth Wildcats last Saturday, with United initially concerned about the veteran’s anterior cruciate ligament.

Further scans revealed only bone bruising.

“We went straight to the rooms and did the obvious tests for the ACL and once I got the tick off — or we thought we got the tick off from that — it was a lot of relief,” Goulding said.

“It was just more the pain of the injury got me at the time and, touch wood, I haven’t had much experience with knee injuries, so I was fearful of the worst.”

Goulding has been held out of practice sessions this week as United prepares for the Taipans and glamour side Sydney Kings on Melbourne Cup Eve.

But Goulding conceded the quick back-up had entered his mind.

“I’ve just got some sharp pain, once that subsides to a point where I can move around and not be a burden to the guys on court I’ll be right to go,” Goulding said.

“We’ve had the conversation of if I go and I don’t play will that hinder preparations for Monday, or is it just better to stay here and prepare as if I’m playing for Monday.”

United coach Dean Vickerman yesterday rated Goulding only a “chance” to face the Taipans.

“Most probably he’s going to get on the plane tomorrow and we’ll fitness test him up there,” Vickerman said.

“If he’s going to play his fitness test will have contact in it, on game day, at shootaround, so we’ll put him through some one-on-ones.

“We’re just trying to get him up for this first... if he’s only capable of playing 10 minutes is that worth it, we’ll just assess it when we get up there.”