THE TAB is bracing for a Caulfield Cup avalanche on Kings Will Dream after Darren Weir’s gun drew favourably for Saturday’s Group 1 but James McDonald has warned punters against dismissing rivals on the basis of wide gates.

Aware of statistics which show barriers inside 10 are most successful, McDonald believes the $5 million staying test is traditionally complicated — and Saturday’s edition is no exception.

“Obviously the Caulfield Cup is a funny old race,” he said after his mount The Taj Mahal drew 19. “I think he’s got a great chance if the race is on the speed. He’s in it up to his ears if he has any luck.”

Kerrin McEvoy, who partners Youngstar from gate 10, echoed McDonald’s thoughts about the changeable nature of the helter skelter race.

“It’s a different race to ride in than any other races during the year,” McEvoy said.

“The Caulfield Cup can ride different, year in, year out, so you have to have your wits about you and almost go on the fly a bit.

“Go every furlong and see how it unshapes. Caulfield can be tricky for some horses. They need to have the right criteria to offset Caulfield.

“It takes a hardy horse, a horse with the right credentials and a nice weight.”

Irishman Pat Cosgrave will chase successive Group 1 victories with Best Solution after snaring the Caulfield Stakes last week with Benbatl.

Like McDonald, he is undaunted by a wide alley — 17 — with the Cup topweight.

“It is what it is and Best Solution is a straightforward horse anyway,” Cosgrave said.

“I can ride him the way I want to. He’s pretty uncomplicated and genuine.

“He seems to go on all types of ground.”

Cosgrave labelled Duretto, trained by Andrew Balding, a genuine chance after the raider drew the inside — a gate which has not yielded the winner since Velocity in 1941.

“I think Duretto is a good chance, he’s drawn one,” Cosgrave said. “It’s a high class race, there are a lot of horses with good chances in the race.”

A record six internationals will tackle the Cup, including Japan’s Chestnut Coat (barrier 13) and Sole Impact (20).

Kings Will Dream ($5.50-$5) deposed Youngstar ($5-5.50) as favourite as punters reacted to the draw.

“Kings Will Dream has had the ideal Caulfield Cup lead up and is the one to beat,” TAB’s Nick Quinn said.

“After controversially withdrawing favourite Yucatan from the race, Team Williams has three runners in the race with The Taj Mahal at $18 after drawing barrier 19, Homesman at $13 after drawing barrier four and The Cliffsofmoher at $6.50 after drawing barrier three.

“It is an incredibly strong and open Cup with just three runners in single figure odds.”

Kings Will Dream was quoted at $101 to win the Caulfield Cup on February 12.