Gary Ablett appears set to be given another week to recover from a hamstring injury, with Geelong AFL coach Chris Scott vowing to take a conservative approach with his veteran superstar.

Ablett, having suffered the injury in round three against West Coast, is intent on making his return when the Cats host Greater Western Sydney on Friday night at Kardinia Park.

Scott would love nothing more than to welcome back his gun midfielder, but the coach's focus is firmly on the bigger picture.

"The more-relevant question for us is whether we think that's the best course of action for the longer term and later on in the season," Scott said of including the 33-year-old.

"So we are prepared to make a really conservative decision, even if it does cost us in the game on the weekend and even if it cost us in the game last week.

"If that's the mistake we make, we'll be comfortable with that.

"Be really clear that he hasn't been ruled out; I know I'm speaking a little pessimistically

"(But) if he doesn't play, it's not because it's more serious than we thought."

The Giants sit third on the ladder with four wins, a draw and one loss, but have lost stars Jeremy Cameron (toe) and Brett Deledio (hamstring) for the clash.

Daniel Menzel (groin) and Brandan Parfitt (foot) won't play against GWS, but Scott Selwood (concussion) is expected to return.

Menzel had enjoyed a bright start to the season, kicking 15 goals in five games, but missed last week's loss to Sydney to rest a sore groin.

"He had an injection that he had a reaction to which has meant he hasn't been able to train this week," Scott said of Menzel's continued absence.

"Potentially, those things are really serious, I'm told, so tests were undertaken to make sure there was no infection and that's the case.

"They expect it to turn around quickly but just not quick enough to play this week."

George Horlin-Smith, concussed against the Swans, is still being assessed.

In positive news for the Cats, important defender Harry Taylor has resumed training with the main group and is expected to play at some level next week for the first time since round one.