CARLTON has won a clear path to arguably the brightest talent in the AFLW draft, after Sunbury teenager Madison Prespakis nominated Melbourne metro as her preferred destination.

Geelong, which has the first two picks in this month’s state based draft, were keen for the award-winning inside midfielder to nominate their region and become a Cat.

Geelong could have then recruited the top two players from this year’s draft crop in Prespakis and Geelong Falcon Nina Morrison.

But the 17-year-old declined the Cats’ advances and appears set to land at Carlton, who has the third pick of the Victorian talent.

Morrison, an outside midfielder, looks set to be the No.1 pick and is excited about playing for her home club.

Prespakis and Morrison were joint winners of the TAC Cup best and fairest award and they also shared MVP honours at the under-18 national carnival.

Prespakis, speaking at the draft combine at Marvel Stadium, said being able to live at home was a key to her decision.

“There was obviously a few talks (with Geelong) and things like that, realistically it was a hard decision,” Prespakis said.

“But for me, I sat down with my manager and my mum and dad and it sort of just came down to where I’d feel most comfortable to play footy and if that was moving out of home or staying at home.

“For me, it was definitely staying at home and being close to my family. I thought I’d play better footy.

“Geelong were lovely and it’s nice down there, but it all comes down to where you’re going to play your best footy and for me, I felt like that was closer to home.

“We’ll have to wait and see (where I end up). I don’t really care what club I end up at.”

Victorian players can either nominate to play for a club in Geelong, Melbourne metro or all of Victoria ahead of the October 23 draft.