AFTER almost two years on the sidelines with a serious knee injury, Bullets star Cameron Bairstow has embraced the slogan made famous by Ben Simmons’ Philadelphia 76ers and learned to “trust the process”.

The ex-Chicago Bulls forward and Rio Olympian will play his first regular season match since December 2016 when Brisbane take on New Zealand in Auckland in the 2018-19 NBL season opener.

The club’s marquee signing crashed heavily to the floor during an overtime loss to Illawarra at the Brisbane Convention Centre in the Bullets’ comeback season, damaging both his ACL and MCL.

Bairstow had to wait six weeks for the MCL to heal before he could undergo his knee reconstruction, meaning the 2017-18 season was also wiped out for the former Brisbane junior.

After re-signing with the Bullets for the next two seasons with unfinished business on his mind, Bairstow has slowly been working his way back to full fitness, getting better with every outing in the pre-season.

Noticeably leaner than the last time he donned a Bullets singlet, Bairstow has been a genuine presence in the spirited scrimmages at Brisbane training.

But the “Bear” won’t be roaring at full capacity just yet.

“The knee is good and it will only continue to improve over time as I go through the process,’’ he told The Courier-Mail.

“I’ve been out a while and the process takes time. It’s not just the physical side of things with the strength and the power but also the mental side of things and getting your feel back for the game.

“That’s where I’m at right now. I feel like I’m improving with every game and I’m still trying to put it all together, but that will only get better as the season goes on.’’

The 206cm-tall Bairstow gives Brisbane an offensive threat in the paint, a physical defender and priceless class, experience and basketball IQ from going through the US college system and on to the NBA.

Bairstow said Brisbane’s biggest asset this season will be the team-first attitude within the squad.

“In reality, we’ve been together as a full squad for two weeks so the chemistry was off at the Blitz. Once we get that going, that’s going to be our major strength,’’ Bairstow said.

“We’ve got guys who play smart basketball and are happy to play for the good of the group.

“That’s not always the case in professional sport which is why it will be our biggest strength.’’

Bairstow said last week’s team bonding camp has prepared the Bullets for any challenge this season, starting with this encounter against the Breakers at Spark Arena.

“It (the camp) was great for team morale. As athletes you train every day so you are used to the physical aspect of it all but going through things and overcoming obstacles with your teammates will only make us stronger for what lies ahead,’’ he said.

“There’s going to be lots of challenges this year because from top to bottom, the NBL is probably one of the more even leagues in the world. Anyone can beat anyone.’’