FRESH off a bumper winter in England’s One-Day Cup and T20 Blast, Callum Ferguson says he has not given up on playing for Australia again.

Ferguson played his one and only Test in November 2016 and the last of his 30 one-day internationals was way back in 2011.

With three of the country’s best batsmen — Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft — suspended, the 33-year-old is hoping to win his way back into the side.

“The door’s open for a lot of guys to come in and make a mark,” Ferguson said on Friday. “I’d like to think I’m still in the mix to get an opportunity at some point so I’ll be trying to do the same.

“Here at the Redbacks everyone is striving for that, to be playing in the green and gold or the baggy green. I’ll certainly be striving to do that and if you’re playing in winning teams and winning trophies it puts your name up there.”

The right-hander enjoyed himself for county side Worcestershire during the Australian off-season, averaging more than 90 (377 runs at 94.25) across his five one-dayers. He also scored a century and helped himself to 390 runs at 48.75 over 10 T20s.

He’s intent on carrying that form into this month’s One-Day Cup.

“You hope that runs, wherever you count them, are going to count for something. I’ll be hoping to do a little bit more of that here at the Redbacks and certainly if I can keep putting runs on the board it’s got to give me a chance.”