Amir Khan insists a fight against Kell Brook is still a possibility - but insists the all-British showdown is unlikely to happen before the summer of 2018.

Brook lost his IBF welterweight title to American Errol Spence Jr in Sheffield on Saturday, although he insisted immediately after the absorbing fight that he would be willing to campaign at the 147-pound limit in the future.

'The Special One' - who was stopped in round 11 after suffering an injury to his left eye - was fighting back in the division for the first time since losing to Gennady Golovkin at middleweight.

Khan - who was working for Sky Sports Box Office at Bramall Lane - feels the result has not scuppered the idea of a clash between the two long-time rivals, provided they remain in the same division.

"I'd like to fight him at 147," the Bolton boxer told Sky Sports Box Office.

"Obviously Kell has had the loss now and I'm sure he's going to go into another fight that is going to be a nice, tune-up fight. Maybe next summer we could be back.

"It depends on Kell's eye, and also the dates - there are a lot of pay-per-per view fights on. The fight between me and Kell Brook is a pay-per-view fight. I really believe that fight next summer would make sense.

"Kell needs some time now to relax and chill out. With next summer, it gives him the chance to have a tune-up fight before then going into a big fight. Let's see how it goes."

Questions were raised about Brook's decision to drop back down two divisions following his loss to Golovkin last year.

However, Khan believes the battle to make weight was not the reason behind his fellow Englishman falling short in his title defence against the impressive Spence.

"Obviously Kell said after the fight he can make 147 again," Khan added.

"Look, we all find it hard making weight. I find making it down to 147 but I still make it.

"Kell looked great on the scales and he looked great today again. I just don't think the weight is something - I think the demons have come back from the Golovkin fight."