AUSTRALIAN tennis star Nick Kyrgios has spent the afternoon before his tournament title defence begins hanging out with sick children at Brisbane’s Ronald McDonald House.

The 23-year-old has caught media attention in recent days after suffering a spider bite on the foot over Christmas, and then telling media if he won the Australian Open he wouldn’t play for the rest of 2019.

But despite admitting he may be a little rusty as he begins his Brisbane International title defence on Monday, Kyrgios slapped on a smile at the Ronald McDonald House and met fans, including some who have overcome serious illnesses, like little Rita Winderlich who had a viral respiratory illness that turned septic.

“It was very awesome to see them, and hopefully they stay strong and all the best to them and their families,” Kyrgios said.

He said he heard about some of their conditions, which were “very sad and emotional”, but hoped his visit could give them a little more hope and belief they can get through it.

Kyrgios spoke of his own similar foundation for disadvantaged and underprivileged kids, with a facility being built in Melbourne.

He said he eventually just wanted to help people in life.

“It’s not even time out of my day; it’s something I want to do, I want to meet these people and hopefully try to make a difference,” he said.

Rita’s mother Jodie Winderlich said it was fantastic to meet Kyrgios, considering the family’s six-week ordeal with Rita’s illness.

“We got flown from Bundaberg down to Brisbane and when we got her here she went into septic shock and we lost her twice,” Ms Winderlich said.

“She’s come a long way since that six weeks ago, and we are just waiting to get back to Bundaberg now.

“It’s great to meet Nick, considering he has gone into his preparation time to come down and see all of the kids here at the house.”

Kyrgios takes on the American he vanquished in last year’s final, Ryan Harrison, in the first round on Monday.

Meanwhile, Spanish No.2 seed Rafael Nadal posted on Instagram he “couldn’t wait to be back” at the Brisbane International as he boarded a plane.

He has a bye in the first round before playing the victor of Kokkinakis-Tsonga.