KARMICHAEL Hunt will emerge from the representative wilderness for the first time this season as an outside centre for Brisbane City on Sunday.

The six-Test Wallaby’s lost year may be reigniting because, during the lowest moments of his drug-tainted limbo, he thought he might never play rugby in Australia again.

Hunt, 31, played four club games in his comeback for Souths in July after the 16-game season of the Reds disappeared without an appearance.

City coach Mick Heenan sized him up for the next level in a trial at Ashgrove last Sunday to groove the two Queensland sides for the National Rugby Championship lift-off.

“We saw the value immediately of Quade (Cooper) and Karmichael as experienced players who can boss the team when needed and communicate well,” Heenan said.

“Karmichael best suits our make-up of players as a physical outside centre so he’ll be starting on Sunday, as will Quade.”

The 3pm match against the Western Force will be played at Courtney Oval, the home ground of Hunt’s former club Norths, which vetoed a mid-year approach from him to resume playing.

Norths reasoned Hunt’s court appearances on drug-related issues was not a look they wanted to be associated with when they have a juniors base of more than 500 kids.

Souths did offer a way back for which Hunt is grateful because it had rebuilt his confidence.

In July, Hunt was realistic some rugby fans had disowned him and others would take convincing that he was worth backing for a comeback.

“You’re right. Everyone who knows me understands I’m not perfect but I do my best to give everything to family, friends and football,” Hunt said.

AUSTRALIA’S professional rugby players have selected David Pocock over Wallabies skipper Michael Hooper as the nation’s top openside flanker based on form in Super Rugby.

The Volvo Super Rugby Players’ Choice Team of the Year revealed on Monday highlights the appreciation of players for their peers through the Rugby Union Players’ Association.

There were some illuminating selections.

Brumbies lock Rory Arnold received endorsement ahead of Australia’s two Test locks, Izack Rodda and Adam Coleman.

Pocock being selected over Hooper for the No. 7 jersey is not a sleight when a different question, “Who do you rate as the top five players in Australia’s Super Rugby sides?”, would likely have included both.

In the backrow, Brumby Isi Naisarani was picked by his peers at No. 8 as a clear sign that the big Fijian ball-runner will be a major asset when eligible for the Wallabies later this year.

The biggest nod of all was the rating of feisty, hard-edged Angus Cottrell, the tough Melbourne Rebels backrower picked at No. 6 ahead of rivals with Test experience.

2018 Volvo Players’ Choice Super Rugby Team of the Year: Scott Sio, Folau Fainga’a, Taniela Tupou, Rory Arnold, Rob Simmons, Angus Cottrell, David Pocock, Isi Naisarani, Will Genia, Bernard Foley, Taqele Naiyaravoro, Kurtley Beale, Tevita Kuridrani, Jack Maddocks, Israel Folau.