BRISBANE says a report linking Dayne Beams to Collingwood is re-heated soup and it has heard nothing from the player or the Magpies about a potential trade.

When the latest rumours linking Beams back to Collingwood broke the Lions made contact with his manager, Paul Connors, who assured the club Beams had not spoken to him about requesting a trade.

Since his father passed away in March this year, Beams – who has two years still to run on his contract – has made it clear that he would eventually return to Victoria.

However, his stated position with Brisbane in meetings with CEO Greg Swann and football manager David Noble was that he would not ask to be traded, but if the club identified a deal it was interested in, he would be happy to return before his contract expired.

The Lions have not explored any deals nor conducted any analysis of Magpie players because their preference is to keep their former captain to his contract to steer a midfield that could be bolstered by the addition of Docker Lachie Neale.

The suspicion is the Beams to Collingwood story re-emerged because of Fremantle’s hard line stance on club champion Neale.

Brisbane is adamant its offer of draft pick No.5 is sufficient and is not budging but the Dockers want another first-round pick.

The Dockers, having heard rumours of Beams’ desire to return to Victoria, suggested the Lions could secure the necessary pick to get the Neale deal done by trading with Collingwood for its pick 18.

With the arrival over the past two years of high draft picks Hugh McCluggage (No.3), Jarrod Berry (No.19) and Cam Rayner (No.1), who are set to be long term midfielders for the club, the Lions feel they do not need to get any younger and are not desperately chasing extra draft picks.

It would leave the Magpies needing to offer a quality player to even get the Lions into a room if Beams did make a last minute request for a trade.

Lions CEO Greg Swann said other than the early morning phone calls, the latest Beams story had not created much of a ripple at the Gabba and although he had been around too long to ever say never, he couldn’t see a scenario where Beams was not at Brisbane next year.

“We’re pretty relaxed about it, nothing has changed as far as we know,’’ Swann said.

“It looks like a bit of re-heated soup.

“It’s not happening.’’

Beams attempted to put an end to the year-long speculation about his future with a public statement at the end of the season where he vowed to see out his contract.

“I love the coach, the playing group and am excited about where this footy club is headed,’’ Beams said.

“I have never asked for a trade away from the Lions and would like to put an end to any speculation over my playing future. I will be seeing out my contract here.”