Brent Musburger defended Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon during Monday’s Allstate Sugar Bowl telecast and doubled down later in the third quarter.

Mixon was suspended for a year after an incident in which he punched Oklahoma student Amelia Molitor in 2014. The video was released, and Mixon apologized again for the incident. Musburger addressed that early in the telecast.

Godinger Serveware, Dublin Sugar Bowl & Creamer
$20.00 | $10.00
Long, faceted cuts in a traditional starburst pattern make this luxurious crystal sugar bowl and creamer set sparkle and shine.
Macy's | Sponsored
MORE: 2016 SN All-Americans

Follow
Mike Finger ✔ @mikefinger
I rewound this to make sure I wasn't being too tough on Brent. Nope. It's even worse the second time. This is embarrassing.
10:00 PM - 2 Jan 2017
1,142 1,142 Retweets 1,949 1,949 likes
After Mixon ripped off a 35-yard run in the third quarter, Musburger addressed color analyst Jesse Palmer and doubled down on that with a stronger defense. Here is what Musburger said:

MORE: Oklahoma, Bob Stoops prioritized winning over decency

"You know Jess, apparently, some people were upset when I wished this young man well at the next level. Let me make something perfectly clear. What he did with that young lady was brutal, uncalled for. He's apologized. He was tearful. He got a second chance. He got a second chance from Bob Stoops. I happen to pull for people with second chances, OK. Let me make it absolutely clear that I hope he has a wonderful career and he teaches people with that brutal, violent video, OK?"