Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers has admitted the club could lose Scott Brown to the A-League’s newest club Western Melbourne.

It’s no secret the Bhoys skipper is a target for the incoming franchise who are keen to make the 33-year-old their inaugural marquee signing.

Brown has a new deal on the table in Scotland, but is being allowed time to make his decision. The Daily Record report a ‘formal contract offer’ is expected from Melbourne by the start of next week.

When asked if there a decision on Brown’s future would be made in the next few days, Rodgers responded: “There may well be.”

“I was not sure of when it was going to be resolved but I have said before Scott will be afforded time in terms of making a decision about what he wants to do going forward. And he deserves that time.

“So of course very much we want him to be here. But he has to at this period of his life and his career to be able to assess his options he has.

“He will be 34 at the end of this year and for some players, they reach that stage in life and they can pick up a two or three year deal at that on big money and have an adventure for your family.

“You certainly have to look at it and weigh it up. He has been an incredible servant for the club. But I think he has earned that time to make his choice.

“I have spelt out to him how important he is here but I have also given him an unbiased look at it. Football is a very short career.

“I said the same thing to Craig Gordon when Chelsea were keen to take him for good money on offer. ‘OK, this is what you could get at Chelsea, this is what you have here,’.

“They are old enough these guys to make their own decisions but I can speak to them openly and from both sides.

“There is no time limit. In the meantime I just need him fit and playing.”

West Melbourne will enter the A-League from the start of next season, and the 55-time Scottish international could be lining up for them.

But according to Rodgers, he could still return to Celtic park in the future in a different capacity.

“Absolutely. No doubt. He is a really influential figure in the changing room and like I say, whatever happens in the future there will always be a role back here at Celtic.”