The writing is on the wall — Corey Norman will be wearing the Dragons No.1 jersey in 2019.

Alternatively, skipper Gareth Widdop could be moved to fullback and Norman to the halves — either way the Eels’ imminent signing is not good news for Matt Dufty.

But that hasn’t stopped the St George Illawarra playing group from backing the incumbent fullback to keep his spot.

The whippet-sized custodian infamously copped a saliva-drenched spray from elder statesman James Graham when he was seen laughing in the sheds after the team was embarrassed by the Bulldogs in round 24 this year.

Dufty later told Fairfax Media it was a case of wrong place, wrong time — simply an uncontrollable crack-up at a teammate’s quip, and he was “dirtier than anyone about the loss”.

Graham reportedly didn’t harbour the grudge long. And it seems other teammates have Dufty’s back too, at a time when his career is seemingly at a crossroads.

Zac Lomax talks about a gifted 22-year-old who bounced back from his benching in that same Bulldogs clash to produce three of his best performances over the next three weeks, including their trouncing of the Broncos at Suncorp in the elimination final.

“Yeah [Dufty] played a real good couple of games in the finals series and I guess just little things like that show the kind of player he is,” Lomax told foxsports.com.au.

“He’s a real good player and shows a lot of skill and he takes a lot of confidence out of those last two games he played in the finals and I’m confident he’ll have a real good year in 2019.”

Asked if he wanted to see Dufty hold his spot, Lomax nodded and suggested he’d be a more complete player in 2019.

“Yeah for sure (I’d like him to stay at fullback). Duff’s been unreal for the Dragons especially considering this was basically his debut season really,” he said.

“Duff’s been real good and the boys get around Duff a fair bit. He’s in a real good head space at the moment and training well.

“So, yeah if he was to stay there I’d be confident we’re still going to have a good season in 2019.”

Of course, Lomax (19) — who was a revelation in the centres at the back end of the season — is all too aware that he could find himself in the back five alongside Norman next season.

“Obviously that’s not up to me and whoever’s there I’m sure the job will get done,” he said of Norman’s impending arrival.

“We’ve got a lot of leaders at the Dragons and a real good coaching staff so we won’t lose anything with either of those players and we’ll have a very good spine.

“But you’ve seen what Matt can do there in the season this year and he’s working hard, there aren’t any negative vibes at training.”

Lomax is speaking with foxsports.com.au from Emerging Blues training, a sharp rise for a teenager who’s played just four top-grade games.

But there are huge raps on the strapping outside back from Temora, and if his comments are anything to go by, there is plenty of pressure on Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken to keep their spots.

“I have spoken to Mary [McGregor] a little bit positional-wise and yeah he wants me to focus on centre, he sees me as more of a centre,” he said.

“He likes me playing a little bit more on the ball but he’s got me training at both centre and wing just to have me ready for both positions.

“I definitely prefer right centre just because I’m a right hand ball carrier and I like to fend with my left.”