AFTER an underwhelming start to the season, the Brumbies have received some welcomed news with Wallaby-in-waiting Tom Banks extending his contract until the end of 2019.

The Brumbies fullback has been a revelation since moving down to Canberra from Brisbane ahead of the 2017 season.

He dislodged current Reds No 15 Aidan Toua midway through last year and his breakout season saw him brought into the Wallabies’ Rugby Championship squad by Michael Cheika.

His assured performance for the Barbarians against Cheika’s Wallabies last October, which included a try, didn’t go unnoticed either.

Wallabies assistant-coach Stephen Larkham lured him south to Canberra and is on the record highlighting his excellent work ethic and speed.

Banks, who pulled off an exceptional try-saving tackle on Wallabies winger Sefa Naivalu during their 33-10 defeat to the Super Rugby ladder-leaders the Melbourne Rebels on Friday night, said that he thrilled to have re-signed with the club.

“I am very happy to have extended my contract with the Brumbies and am looking forward to enjoying my rugby with this fantastic club,” said Banks, 23.

“I am continually learning at this level and am thoroughly enjoying playing at the Brumbies. The coaching staff is excellent and the playing group is exceptional. It really is a tremendous place to live and play.

“I am grateful to the Brumbies for giving me an extended chance at Super Rugby level and am excited by the prospect of developing alongside the many talented players at the club.”

Rookie Brumbies coach Dan McKellar said that he was pleased to lock down one of Australian rugby’s brightest young stars.

“Tom has been a great addition to the club,” McKellar said.

“He came down at the end of 2016 on the back of a good NRC and he is developing into a good Super Rugby player.

“He’s got good speed, can identify space well and is a genuine threat to opposition defences, so it’s exciting to have him commit to the squad.

“You need point of difference players and Tom is certainly one. He is someone who can create something out of nothing. Tom is at the early stages of his career and is developing nicely and we think there are exciting times ahead for him.

“Confidence and belief for any young footballer is a great thing to have and Tom is certainly showing signs of that. He’s just got to continue to work hard on his game, following his process every day and every week and that will allow him to reach his potential.”