Former Liverpool striker Emile Heskey is looking to spoil Steven Gerrard's FA Cup dream when he returns to Anfield at the weekend.

Heskey was working as a television pundit when he made a a surprise return to football by joining Neil Lennon's Bolton side in December, and the 37-year-old is now heading back to Merseyside for a fourth-round tie against his former team on Saturday.

The former England forward enjoyed a four-year spell with Liverpool following his £11million move from Leicester in 2000 and played alongside Gerrard in the team which won the FA Cup at the Millennium Stadium in 2001.

"It's a wonderful thing to go back," said Heskey.

"I'm 37, I'm not a young lad; to go back and play at Anfield is a great thing. It wasn't long ago, a few months ago, when I was doing LFCTV so to actually be going back there and putting my boots on and playing against Liverpool is wonderful.

"I've thought about it. The fans were wonderful to me while I was there. I'll hopefully get a good reception and play my heart out."

If Heskey's Bolton team can pull off a shock upset at Anfield, it would ruin Gerrard's hopes of leaving Liverpool on a high.

The former England captain leaves for MLS side Los Angeles Galaxy at the end of the season and the FA Cup final, which falls on his 35th birthday, could represent his last chance to win silverware as a Liverpool player.

Heskey was among those who raised an eyebrow when his former colleague's departure was announced.

"I believe he's probably leaving maybe a year or so too soon," he said. "But he's probably weighed up the options, looked at everything and thinks right now is about the right time."