AFL great Robert Walls has urged Carlton to persist with Marc Murphy as its captain for the 2019 season.

Speculation has swirled this year around the club’s leadership plans, with gun midfielder Patrick Cripps the standout candidate to replace Murphy.

But Walls, who is a Carlton Legend and team of the century member thanks to his three flags as a player and one as a coach, is not sold on an immediate transition at his former club.

Cripps is eight years Murphy’s junior and should be elevated to the captaincy next year, according to ex-Blues coach Mick Malthouse.

Walls disagreed, saying Murphy was still the man for the job.

“There’s been a lot of talk about Patrick Cripps being Carlton’s next captain,” Walls said on Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight.
“He should be Carlton’s next captain, but in my opinion not next year. Marc Murphy signed a two-year extension, I think next year Marc Murphy captains the team.

“Paddy Cripps is still a young man learning what it’s all about, particularly off the field. I think another 12 months of doing what he’s doing now, he’ll be primed to take over in 2020.”

Malthouse was critical of Murphy, who he appointed club captain in 2013, in an article written for The Herald Sun recently.
Specifically, the all-time games coached record holder lamented Murphy’s supposed unwillingness to lead the team off the field after a loss.

“If you are prepared to walk down the race in front of your teammates before the game, then you must be prepared to lead them back off the ground afterwards, regardless of the outcome,” Malthouse wrote.

“Or at the very least, have your arm around the strugglers offering support. It’s a tip for Carlton captain Marc Murphy.

“In recent weeks it’s been Patrick Cripps — touted as the next Blues skipper — who has walked the team off the ground.

“Cripps has all the attributes of a natural leader. He is tough, proud, unrelenting, and plays his guts out every week.

“The example he sets is one for his teammates to follow.”

When quizzed on Malthouse’s comments, Walls said he was “disappointed” to read them and offered a retort.

“He (Murphy) has been battling injury for most of the year,” Walls said.

“He’s a really good player and I think he’s a good captain. I was disappointed Mick Malthouse had a crack at him — Murphy didn’t deserve that.

“So I was pleased to see him come back and play some good football.”