CARLTON'S 1987 premiership coach, Robert Walls, will return to the club to mentor Brendon Bolton and his coaching team in 2019.

Walls, who also won three premierships as a player during his 218-game stint at the Blues, will act in a voluntary role to help develop the club's coaching panel.

"I'm helping out in a very small way, just in a mentoring role with the coaching staff. I'll be just a sounding board throughout the weeks and match days, so hopefully I can give them some support," Walls told carltonfc.com.au.

Carlton's newly arrived head of football, Brad Lloyd, said Walls was approached as part of the club's plan to continue the development of its coaching staff.

"As a club, we're committed to further developing our coaches' skillsets through our coach development program," Lloyd said.

"We're thrilled to have a mentor of Walls' calibre on board and look forward to his contribution."

In addition to his 84-game coaching tenure at Carlton, Walls also spent five seasons at both Fitzroy and Brisbane, before ending with two seasons at Richmond from 1996-97.