Maroof had earlier stepped down from the post ahead of the World T20 recently. © Getty

Bismah Maroof will lead Pakistan in their upcoming T20I series and the three-match series of the ICC Women's ODI Championship against the West Indies, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) announced on Friday (January 25). Maroof was Pakistan's regular captain but she stepped down from the post ahead of the ICC World T20 last year after recovering from a sinus surgery and played the tournament under Javeria Khan's captaincy.

A four-member committee headed by former men's Test cricketer Jalaluddin also announced 14-member squads for the two series. The other members of the committee were Asmavia Iqbal (former player), Mark Coles (women's team coach), and Maroof.

Pakistan women take on the Windies side in three T20Is in Karachi in what will be a major boost to the PCB's efforts to revive international cricket in the country. The two sides then travel to Dubai for three ODIs on February 7, 9 and 11.

"It's always a privilege to be appointed captain of your country," said Maroof, who has 98 ODIs and 92 T20Is under her belt. "But to be named captain in a home series against a tough side like the West Indies, that too when international cricket is making a steady return to Pakistan, is a huge honour. We have a good side, a side that has matured and blossomed in the past few months. I am sure we will put up strong performances across both the formats.

"I want to thank the West Indies women's cricket team for agreeing to visit Karachi. This visit will help them see and understand the passion for cricket in Pakistan. We have great friends in the West Indies women's team, and this relationship and respect will only strengthen now."

Maroof will look towards Sana Mir, the senior most member of the side and number one ranked bowler in the ICC ODI rankings for women, for guidance in what promises to be a challenging series for the home side. The Windies women will play a series in Pakistan after almost 15 years. They were the last non-Asian side to visit the country in 2004. During the tour, they played a Test -that ended in a draw- and a seven-match ODI series, which they won quite comprehensively with a 2-5 margin.

"This will be a very emotional series," Mir said. "Not only will we be celebrating the West Indies' women's cricket team to Karachi, but also remembering Sharmeen Khan, one of the pioneers of women's cricket in Pakistan, who sadly passed away late last month. The thoughts and prayers of the entire side are with the family and friends of Sharmeen Khan.

"The T20I series against a top country like the West Indies is an opportunity for the young women cricketers as well as the parents to bring their children and help them fall in love with this game. The quality of cricket will be good and I am confident all the spectators will have a good time."

T20I squad: Bismah Maroof (C), Aiman Anwar, Aliya Riaz, Anam Amin, Diana Baig, Irum Javed, Javeria Khan, Nashra Sandhu, Natalia Pervaiz, Nida Dar, Sana Mir, Sidra Amin, Sidra Nawaz (WK), Omaima Sohail

ODI squad: Bismah Maroof (C), Aiman Anwar, Aliya Riaz, Diana Baig, Javeria Khan, Kainat Imtiaz, Nahida Khan, Nashra Sandhu, Nida Dar, Saba Nazir, Sana Mir, Sidra Amin, Sidra Nawaz (WK), Omaima Sohail