Happy birthday, Sir Designated Hitter! You look good at 45.

It was on this day in 1973 that you made your first glorious appearance in the form of the Yankees' Ron Blomberg, who went 1 for 3 with an RBI against the Red Sox. Your arrival changed the game for the better, even though a lot of people like to pretend it didn't.

"It's not real baseball" is what they say.

"We prefer sac bunts and pitchers striking out with the bases loaded and the team down by a run" is what they mean.

It might not be "real" baseball, but it's better baseball.

Yes, even after 45 years, you still cause heated debates among fans. Some people even claim you've ruined the game. What silly people they are.

Your detractors say you've made strategy in baseball a dying art, that your presence somehow makes the game lazy. I don't get it. I've never watched a game and been entertained by pitching changes or double switches.

See, I love offense. The more, the merrier. Pitching duels are OK every now and then, but give me a 10-9 slugfest anytime. It's simple, really: If I have nine spots in the lineup, I want nine real hitters in the lineup. I don't believe in giving away outs — and thanks to you, Sir DH, teams don't have to.

The American League has obviously seen your benefits and rightfully embraced you. The National League should too. As I've written before, if baseball really wants to make things more exciting, it needs you in the senior circuit. Think of all the extra dingers! A lot of people will fight this, of course, but those people don't like fun.

Look at all the careers that have flourished, or at least been extended, through your use: Edgar Martinez, Frank Thomas, David Ortiz, Paul Molitor and Jim Thome, to name a few. You can find most of those names in Cooperstown, by the way. The others you'll find there soon enough.

Then there are guys like Chili Davis and Hal McRae, whose careers received a boon under your label. And All-Stars like Harold Baines and Don Baylor, who did their jobs well with "DH" next to their names in decades past. Or Nelson Cruz, the best DH in today's game, who's still a feared and productive batter thanks to you. And you've seen what Shohei Ohtani has done so far. I think you and he will become great friends.

You keep players employed, you help limit fatigue and you allow for better lineup flexibility. Also, for what it's worth, the AL has won more World Series since 1973 (24-20). Just sayin'.

You're good people, Sir DH. I'll never understand why people don't like you. There should be more of you, not fewer. More dingers, not more bunts. More wins, not more strategy.

Anyway, enjoy your day.

Happy 45th, you wonderful creature. May you live long and prosper (and make the National League better).

Your pal,
Jason