F1 supremo wants his advisor Sacha Woodward-Hill to take over day-to-day running

Bernie Ecclestone says F1 needs a woman’s touch and wants his advisor Sacha Woodward-Hill to take over the day-to-day running of F1 when he retires.

According to reports, Ecclestone made his recommendations to F1’s controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners, at a meeting in London on Thursday.

“If I was controlling the board, I would probably say this wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a woman as chief executive,” Ecclestone was quoted as saying by The Times.

CVC Chairman Donald Mackenzie is understood to be formulating a succession plan to Ecclestone as former Diageo chief executive Paul Walsh looks likely to take become the new chairman of Delta Topco – the company which owns Formula One Management.

It is thought that Walsh would want to take a more hands-on role in F1 than the departing Peter Brabeck and he also met with Ecclestone on Thursday as he considers whether to commit to the role.

The Times says ‘Ecclestone believes Walsh could attract City investors and corporate sponsors’ whilst the day-to-day running could be left to Woodward-Hill.

“Would they want a front man, particularly if they want a [stock market flotation]? The City would want to see someone, I suppose,” Ecclestone added.

“The right person would come along – maybe this Mr Walsh is the one.”

Ecclestone returned to the Delta Topco board this week after criminal charges in Germany were dropped earlier this year, but he admits he is powerless to decide if he stays in charge of F1.

“Donald is directing it. Do I have any input? Probably not,” Ecclestone said. “I am happy here as long as the board are happy I have still got a few dollars in the bank, so I am not looking for a job. When I don’t think I can deliver I will retire. I am not at that stage yet.”