The former England batsman has won six domestic trophies across all formats thus far © Getty

Ian Bell, who last played a First-Class game in September 2018, has signed a one-year extension contract with the Warwickshire County Cricket Club for the 2021 season, the Edgbaston-based club confirmed on Tuesday (July 1).

"Ian is a winner, and everyone associated with Warwickshire CCC is naturally delighted that he has put pen to paper and reinforced his great commitment to his home country," said Paul Farbrace, Sport director at the Warwickshire County Cricket Club.

"With Warwickshire, Ian has won every domestic trophy possible and he was part of one of the greatest England teams of all time. Having his knowledge and experience in the dressing room at Edgbaston is fantastic for our young players who can continue to learn from one of the greatest players in our history," he further added.

Bell missed out on the 2019 County season due to back-to-back injuries (toe and knee respectively) and last featured in a Warwickshire second XI game in July 2019. Besides his international career, the 38 year-old has been a regular fixture in the Warwickshire CCC since 1999. In August 2018, Bell expressed his desire to return to the international fold after a brilliant County season in which he scored 665 runs at an average of 55.42.

"It means a huge amount to me, and my family, that I am able to continue representing my home county," said Bell. I still harbour big ambitions of winning more silverware and I know Farby and the rest of the squad share this determination and excitement"

Bell played 287 international games across formats which includes 26 centuries with an average of 42.69 in the longest format. He has also been one of the three English players to have won the Ashes five times in his 118-match Test career.

"I've been fortunate to be part of some fantastic Warwickshire sides that have won trophies across formats throughout my time with the Club, and I firmly believe that we are building for another period of challenging for more titles," noted Bell who won six domestic trophies with Warwickshire.

"In the last couple of years we've seen some really promising young players come into the side and make an immediate impression. Part of my role now is to provide support to them as they have the potential to achieve a huge amount both with Warwickshire and England... I believe that it's a very exciting time for the Club and I can't wait to get back out there wearing the Bear & Ragged Staff," he concluded.