There is also a proposal for the final of the BCL to be a day-night affair. © Getty

Bangladesh Cricket Board has decided to host the Bangladesh Cricket League, the country's lone franchise-based first-class competition, from January 31 in order to facilitate preparations for the upcoming Test series against Zimbabwe and Pakistan. The BCL replaces the club-based 50-over competition Dhaka Premier League which was slated to take place later this month.

BCB's game development chairman Khaled Mahmud, who spoke about the latest developments on Thursday (January 23), said: "We have to take everything into consideration as we have some issues with Pakistan series but now we are going Pakistan three time. We have no preparation before the Tests and we finished the T20 format recently, and if we play 50-over format cricket again than we cannot have good preparations for the Tests.

"I think it important for Bangladesh to do well (in the two Tests in Pakistan) and we have one Test match against Zimbabwe as well, and I think if the boys can play in this (longer-version) format than it will be good for them. I think the boys will get one round of matches before going to Pakistan for the Test matches and I think this will be good preparation for the Test matches because I believe batting in two innings [in first-class cricket] is always better than having nets for seven days," he added.

Cricbuzz understands that BCB had to bow down to pressure from the clubs who were reluctant to play the 50-over competition without the availability of the national players, who will also not be available for the most part of the BCL which comes as a setback for the franchises.

Meanwhile, Prime Bank - one of the franchise has pulled out of the BCL, which might have to do with not getting enough mileage from the tournament. "We are trying for different sponsor but time is very limited. In that case BCB has to take responsibility to run the tournament as this is our commitment and our tournament," said Mahmud.

There is also a proposal for the final of the BCL to be a day-night affair. ''We put our issues up front again in this meeting. There are also some restrictions from BCB side. When we contracted, we made a policy too. If that policy needs to be changed, then AGM is required. AGM or even in not possible in board meeting. So BCB had told us on behalf of us. We also said to look after the matters in the next board meeting. Whoever has authority on particular sides,'' said Uday.

Uday Hakim, who represented Walton franchise in a meeting held by the BCB, said that the final of the BCL might be a day-night affair. He also cited that there was not much to gain for franchises from the BCL and that live-broadcasting games could be a useful option.

"We have very minimum to gain from BCL. We play this tournament for the sake of Bangladesh cricket. If the matches of BCL are live broadcast then we would get a feedback. So we discussed about that matter. They are trying to broadcast the final match of this year's BCL," said Hakim. He added: "And another proposal came of introducing pink-ball day-night match. They will take opinion from the players. If they don't have any objection then it might be day-night matches. The final could be played with pink ball."