Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness believes it is a matter of time before a club breaks the transfer record and pays in excess of €200 million (£168m) for a player.

Manchester United made Paul Pogba the most expensive player in the world during the close-season when they paid €105m to lure the Frenchman away from Juventus, breaking the previous record held by Gareth Bale following his €100m move to Real Madrid.

Hoeness had felt the rise of transfer fees was bound to hit the ceiling sooner rather than later, but he now thinks new commercial opportunities make further inflation inevitable.

"I said a number of years ago that we had reached the financial limits. I was wrong," Hoeness told Bild.

"If Bayern take on Dortmund and both teams have a Chinese player in their team, about 300 million Chinese people are watching the game online and are paying €1 to do so, we get an entirely new situation... That would mean €300m on just one day.

"I am convinced that we will soon see a player change clubs for a transfer fee of €150 million or €200 million."