The South African opener is recovering from a hamstring injury in the third T20I against England © AFP

South Africa's T20I opener, Temba Bavuma, has been ruled out of the first T20I against Australia at the Wanderers on Friday (February 21). Bavuma sustained a hamstring strain while fielding in the third T20I between South Africa and England on Sunday (February 16), which South Africa went on to lose by five wickets, capping off a disappointing home series for them.

Bavuma has been recommended 7 to 10 days of rest, and will travel with the team under the observation of South Africa's medical staff. He will be available for the second T20I fixture in Port Elizabeth on Sunday (February 23), if he makes a recovery in time. No replacement has been named for Bavuma.

It is likely that Faf du Plessis will open the batting along with Quinton de Kock, as he has done in the past for his IPL franchise, the Chennai Super Kings.

The squad for the T20Is against Australia sees the return of du Plessis and Kagiso Rabada, as preparations continue for the World T20 in Australia later this year. In addition, they will play a three-ODI series to cap off the brief tour, as South Africa aim to turn things around after a 1-3 drubbing in the Tests against England, in addition to a 1-2 loss in a closely-contested T20I series.