Michy Batshuayi has revealed how Batman and Spongebob influenced his decision to swap Chelsea for Borussia Dortmund on transfer deadline day.

The Belgian international striker was among those forced to wait until the final hours of the January window before seeing their future resolved.

With regular game time denied him in England, a winter move was always on the cards.

Eventually, all of the pieces fell into place as Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s £55 million switch from Dortmund to Arsenal allowed Olivier Giroud to head for Stamford Bridge and Batshuayi to pack his bags for Germany .

The 24-year-old is delighted to have got his move and joked with reporters that the opportunity to don his favourite colours was too good to turn down, saying: "I love black and yellow.

"Black and yellow is Batman, black and yellow is Spongebob!”

Batshuayi, who regularly refers to himself as “Batsman” on social media, has made an instant impression at his new club, having joined Dortmund on an initial loan agreement.

That deal includes the option for a permanent transfer to be pushed through, and two goals on his debut against Cologne on Friday suggests such talks will be held.

He has been taken to Signal Iduna Park to fill the boots of the departed Aubameyang, but comparisons with a prolific Gabonese frontman mean little to Batshuayi at this stage.

“I'm a striker too, we both want to score goals,” he added.

Batshuayi’s efforts against Cologne helped Dortmund to a hard-fought 3-2 win, with Peter Stoger expressing his delight afterwards at seeing a new recruit make a “dream” start to life in new surroundings.

He said: "We lost an extraordinary forward. And what I already said was that on the last day we got a new player who has goalscoring skills.

"He has not been getting much playing time lately and that is why he wanted to move and he wants to have more time on the pitch with us.

"We needed such a player for our squad. That the game went like this is like a dream for him and for everyone involved.

"It feels very good for him and to everyone so he can feel comfortable here very fast.

"But I think we all saw that, independent from the goals, he will be an important player for us."