IT'S A case of fresh sport, fresh start for Victorian basketballer Patrick Bines, who says he turned down offers from at least three Melbourne clubs to take up a spot on West Coast's Category B rookie list for next season.

The 19-year-old junior Melbourne Tiger could have easily stayed in his native state – and his Elwood family home – to pursue an AFL career given the interest in his athleticism and height.

He even fielded interest from Gold Coast, which would have at least enabled him to stay on the east coast.

However, despite training with Hawthorn, touring Essendon and talking to North Melbourne, Bines will move across the country to become an Eagle in a game he hasn't played since he became a teenager.

"I prefer to go interstate as a personal preference, for a brand-new start and it's a really good lifestyle over there from what I've seen," Bines told NAB AFL Trade Radio.

"I've got some really good people to learn from at West Coast.

"They've got a really good list there and there's some really good players I can learn from, so I'm just going to do the best I can and do all the extras."

Bines and Perth-based basketballer Brodie Riach are joining Next Generation Academy product Tarir Bayok on the Eagles' category B list for 2019.

Bines' pedigree in his former sport speaks for itself. He has represented Victoria at under 16 and 18 level, and played in the 2016 world championships in Spain as an under 17-year-old.

He also played at SEABL level for the Melbourne Tigers this season, and his father is former North Melbourne Giants player and Tigers development coach Glenn Bines.

With AFL recruiters paying more attention to unconventional talent paths, Bines said a number of clubs sent representatives to SEABL games this year.

He said he had initially been shocked when the Eagles made a move, given he last played Australian football seven years ago.

"I just a got a call one day and was able to meet with them at a coffee shop," he said.

"From there, there was a small trial in Melbourne to have a kick and some basic skills and then I was invited up to Perth for a two-day trial up there."

Bigger than the other kids when he played for East Brighton under 13s, Bines was the obvious choice to fill the ruck role while also training as the team's full-back.

Since coming onto the Eagles' radar, the 198cm prospect has focused on developing the skills required to play in key forward spots.

Bines knows he could have pursued basketball further with US scouts responsible for handing out college scholarships attending the junior world championships two years ago.

But, wanting to stay in Australia and now explore an entirely new avenue – with the support of his family – held more appeal.

With Scott Lycett off to Port Adelaide and Nic Naitanui to miss a portion of 2019 with a knee injury, opportunities for big men like Bines could come earlier than expected at the Eagles if he can transfer his skills.

"I think one of the big things with moving from basketball to footy is that quick thinking, where you've got split-second decisions you have to make; if you're going to go, if you're not," he said.

"I'm fairly agile on the court so I think I've just got to work on my 20m sprint and being able to lead up to the ball and take a good mark.

"I'm just going to go into pre-season like I'm going to play round one."